The historic Cartier Mansion located on Fifth Avenue in New York City opened this month following a two-and-a-half-year renovation. Originally constructed in 1904, the Mansion was acquired by Pierre Cartier in 1917 and now serves as the flagship location for the many Cartier collections. Thierry Despont, lead designer and architect, combined the existing townhouse with the mansion. The store is now four full floors, each dedicated to a special line, while the fifth floor serves as a workshop and sixth floor as an exhibition space with an outdoor terrace.
The redesign maintains the old-world elegance Cartier is known for. Custom fabrics and leathers were designed for the antique furniture and historical images of Cartier’s long history are placed throughout the floors. Photos of Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor and Andy Warhol – all outfitted in Cartier – line the walls. A room dedicated to Princess Grace displays her wedding jewelry from her 1956 wedding to Prince Rainer III of Monaco. The jewelry is on loan from the family especially for the reopening until the end of October.
Tweet Follow @CamronPR